Tuesday, July 20, 2010

Family Secrets

We have had one family secret since the boys were born. It really isn't a secret but we have never talked to the boys about it because they weren't old enough. Well, that all ended yesterday.

The secret has been that I was married prior to Shelley. We have held off on telling the boys until we thought they would better understand. Lately, they have been asking more about divorce and marriage because they have some friends who have parents that have been divorced. Shelley and I felt it was time because we never want to deceive our boys.

So, last night we turned off the t.v. and gathered everyone in the living room. I was pretty nervous and wasn't really sure how I was going to start the conversation. I explained to them that I had been married previously and they both took it well.

Chase was more focused on his legos but Seth did ask some questions. He asked what her name was, where she lived and why we got divorced. I answered all his questions best I could and he seemed satisified and was anxious to start watching Stars Wars Episode I. A boy must keep his priorities.

1 comment:

Shelley said...

Chase did ask if I had been married before.