Saturday, September 24, 2005

Ten Commandments to my Wife

To my wife:

1. I will love you as Christ loves the Church.
2. I will always obey the 7th Commandment (thou shall not commit adultery)
3. I will commit to have at least one date night a month.
4. I will never make fun of you in front of other people.
5. I will always make our marriage my first priority.
6. I will be open, honest and direct.
7. I will be spontaneous.
8. I will never go to bed angry with you.
9. I will create an environment that makes you feel safe, secure and loved.
10.I will avoid places and people that can be harmful to our marriage.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hey Jeff,

Thanks for your list! My wife is asking me why I don't hang out with you more!!! Yeah...

Rand said...

Hi Jeff,
A few comments/questions. Who's commanding what of whom? I don't get the analogy.

Maybe you should call this 10 rules I make for my marriage?

With that said, 1/date per month seems a little sparse. And when you say you'll never go to bed angry, what does that mean? Will you sleep on the couch? Will you not sleep?

As for #1, that sounds like a tall order. Unconditional love for someone, even if she breaks all the rules repeatedly?

Jeff Dowdle said...

Rand
The analogy is to the 10 commandments that God gave Moses.

I don't know if you are married or if you have kids but your blog doesn't seem to indicate so. With two kids, finding 1 night a month to get away with your wife can be a very big challenge.

The husband is responsible for taking the initiative so I will resolve any conflict we have prior to going to sleep at night.

In regards to #1 it is a tall order but that is exactly what Jesus Christ does for us. He loves us no matter what and in Ephesians 5:25 this is what we are commanded to do.

Shelley said...

:-)

Rand said...

Jeff, I knew where the analogy comes from. I don't understand it's appropriateness. With the 10 commandments, it's god giving his people commandments for behavior through Moses. With your 10 commandments for marriage, it's you giving commandments to yourself.

I am married, no kids. Yep, with kids I can see 1x/month as being a tough one. Fair enough.

Why is the husband responsible for taking the initiative?

And back to #1 - I'm all for this being a fundamental in any marriage. Loving someone unconditionally should be the prerequisite for marriage. But that doesn't mean not taking care of oneself.