Friday, May 26, 2006

We are being audited

Today when I went to the mailbox we had this very ominous envelope from the Internal Revenue Service. My heart skipped a beat and then I had this hope, "maybe it is just one of those junk mail pieces where they got creative just so I would open the letter".

No such luck. This is what it said when I opened it.

"In our review of your 2004 tax return, we found what appeared to be differences between some of the income and deduction information you reported on your tax return and amounts reported to us by others."

Upon further inspection I found what they said "appeared to be differences" a difference of $164,041 dollars of income they said we failed to report. Ok, my heart didn't skip this time but actually stopped for a few moments. How can that be, I thought?

Well, once my heart started beating and I pulled our tax return from 2004 and compared it to what was in the letter, I found the mistake. I won't go into all of the details but I did fail to report some income but it was not $164,041 but $800.

I just hope I can explain it so the IRS understands.

No comments: