Sunday, December 09, 2007

A Budget

If you want a humbling experience, create a family budget.

Despite being very aware of our finances and living well within our means, Shelley and I have never operated under a budget. That is all changing. I started feeling like we were spending a lot of unnecessary money, plus it has always bothered me that Shelley wasn't more involved in our finances.

So, tonight we sat down and created a budget. As we started reviewing what we had been spending and discussing what we were going to spend, I started thinking "maybe it is better just not knowing." I think Shelley had the same thoughts.

But, we created a budget and have even discussed giving each other an allowance. We haven't gone as far as the allowance yet.

We'll see how this goes.

1 comment:

Tim Dowdle - www.livetoshoot.com said...

Danger Will Robinson, Danger. I've been down this road many times before and it never ends well. I suggest you digest the data and information and be happy with knowing more about your fixed costs, variable costs, and what your "means" actually are. Hey, knowing is half the battle anyway. I would avoid the other half if you can.