Tuesday, June 07, 2005

Brothers

We are days away from the birth of our second child. Anyone that has known me for anytime can understand how amazing that is. I once believed I didn't want any children and I actually held that belief up until about 3 years ago. But, I took a leap of faith and decided to fulfill one of my wife's biggest desires and that was the desire to be a mother.

I haven't regretted that decision and have learned what everyone told me and that is being a parent is one of the greatest joys there is. But, I then thought having one would be plenty.

But one day I saw our son playing quietly by himself and my heart just broke. Now, he was having a wonderful time but he looked lonely and I realized he needed a sibling.

You see I was an older brother and while we didn't get a long all of the time we had some wonderful times inventing games and playing together. We played for hours with just a nerf ball and a ping-pong paddle. We played for hours in a hallway with nothing more than tennis ball. We beat ever other team in our neighbor in football by simply running "our play". When things got tough we always had each other.

I hope my son enjoys being a big brother as much as I have.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Beautiful post.

Anonymous said...

Good times. I remember them well. Every Christmas morning, every 12 hour car trip, and every game we ever invented. I hope Seth and Chase have as much fun.