Sunday, June 05, 2005

The Joys of Fatherhood #6

I discovered a joy of fatherhood today that I never anticipated. It was taking my son swimming for the first time. I have to admit a bit of anxiety because we had no idea what his reaction would be. I anticipated him being scared, screaming, clawing at me trying to get out of the pool because one thing we have learned about our 2 year old is that he is cautious. He isn't afraid to try new things and he can be a little adventurer but he often takes a little time to get use to new things. Not today, though.

He took to it like "Duck to Water". He was a natural. Now, he can't swim of course, but he knew that he needed to kick his legs to either go forward or keep his head above water. And he wasn't afraid of get his head under water, either.

Our friend was squirting him in the face with water and he kept saying, "Again, please", "Again, please. In Seth's face". He couldn't get enough. I was really proud of him.

I'm just sad that the moment is gone but excited to experience the next one with him.

1 comment:

Shelley said...

This was a joy to the mother as well. Now we need a pool. :-)