Sunday, July 01, 2007

Dell Laptops

As I wrote in this post I recently got a new laptop for work. Well, this laptop is a Dell and it is my first experience using a Dell. Now, Shelley's work laptop is also a Dell so it wasn't the first Dell in our house.

Prior to me getting my Dell, Shelley had all sorts of little issue with hers. For example, it was always losing connection with our home wireless network while my IBM Thinkpad never had this issue. She also complained that it would often just freeze for 10 to 15 seconds where you couldn't do anything. I knew these things were annoying but I didn't appreciate it until it started happening to me.

My new Dell has a lot of those same interesting features. It does do the "freezing" thing periodically and it is really frustrating. It also has this nice feature where when you are trying to click on something with the mouse, the pointer just starts jumping around randomly. But, the most annoying thing is that at least 20 times a day, as I try to point with the mouse it acts like I am holding the shift key and starts highlighting everything on the page and won't let you click on anything. It drives me freakin' crazy.

And finally this morning I had to uninstall and reinstall the audio drivers for the 3rd time because all of the sudden it will quit having any sound.

Needless to say, I hate this laptop and based on our combined experience between Shelley's and mine, I will never buy a Dell laptop again.

2 comments:

mommyofangels said...

My personal laptop is a dell and my work laptop is a dell. I've never experienced these problems. Must be a Dowdle thing.

Anonymous said...

Hello,

My name is Richard; I am part of Dell's Online Community Outreach group. I regret to read that you have had an unsatisfactory experience with you Dell computer.

I did want to suggest or rather request two items with you. The mouse pointer issue can be corrected by installing the touchpad drivers. It will allow you to adjust the sensitivity, which is most likely the cause of the behavior you described. You can locate that driver at this page, http://support.dell.com/support/downloads/index.aspx?c=us&clearsystem=true&cs=19&l=en&s=dhs.

Finally, we value your feedback and want to read more about what you believe needs to be improved in our products and services. Please visit http://www.ideastorm.com/ and tell us what you think.

Regards,
Richard B
Dell Online Community Outreach