Monday, June 16, 2008

A Highlands House

Nine years ago on June 14th, Shelley and I got married on a beach in Destin, Florida. We planned it all on the internet and didn't know anything about where we were going except for the pictures we had seen.

Shelley made arrangements for us and the entire family to stay in a bed and breakfast on the beach, A Highlands House. It was a wonderful experience full of great memories. Memories such as sitting on rocking chairs on a big porch and looking out over the ocean. Memories of a beach that was white as snow. Memories of being the only people on the beach in an otherwise crowded area. Memories of being secluded and almost alone.

Well, as we arrived, we realized some things had changed in 9 years. We weren't as secluded as we once were. There were houses and condos on all sides of The Highlands House. The rocking chairs on the porch were gone and replaced with adirondak chairs. And, our view of the ocean was a little obscured now because they had built houses between the house and the beach. And we were no longer the only ones on the beach.

Shelley and I expressed a little sadness to each other over some of these changes. But, then I was sitting alone and I realized it wasn't just the Highlands House that changed. I had changed a little myself. I am a few pounds heavier, have a few more gray hairs and on this trip I had a 5 year old and a 3 year old in tow.

I guess we are all due a little change now and then...

No comments: