Saturday, October 22, 2005

Pan Handler versus Person in Need

I would like to think I am a charitable person. But, I don't believe in charity for charity sake. I want to give to people so that they can begin helping themselves.

I say all of that so I can ask the question, how can you tell the difference between a pan handler and a true person in need. The other day as I exited a local Quik Trip, I was hit up by someone who claimed he was from New Orleans, his car was broken down and he needed money to fix it so he could get to a shelter.

What do you do? I just explained that I couldn't help him but as I drove off I wondered what if that was me. Would someone help me or would everyone just dismiss me as a pan handler. How do you know?

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I have often wondered that also. I hate to think that I refuse someone who is truly in need and just temporarily down on their luck. But how do you know? They might just go straight to the liquor store.

Mom

mommyofangels said...

I totally understand. How do you know. That's why I never carry cash, that way I can't give out money. But I have help in many other ways, more than money could have. Buying 2 Happy meals instead of one, and giving the other to the person in need (for example)

Matthew 25
44"They also will answer, 'Lord, when did we see you hungry or thirsty or a stranger or needing clothes or sick or in prison, and did not help you?'

45"He will reply, 'I tell you the truth, whatever you did not do for one of the least of these, you did not do for me.'

p.s. Well I guess it never mentions "someone witha a broken down car" so your safe.