Saturday, October 29, 2005

Peer Pressure

Shelley wrote a post on peer pressure and one of our son's first experience with it. When I read the story it made my heart ache because I would love it if my sons could grow up and be so comfortable with who they are that they wouldn't experience "peer pressure". I know that isn't realistic but I do hope that God can give Shelley and me the skills to raise them so they experience as little "peer pressure" as possible.

When I was growing up I was always compared to other kids and I would often hear, "why can't you be more like ___?" It has taken me 30+ years to get to the point where I am mature enough and comfortable enough in my own skin that I know I am who I am and I really don't have a need to meet other people's expectations. It really is freeing and I wish I had this level of comfort and maturity when I was younger. It would have prevented me from making some poor decisions and bad choices.

Todd Dewald and Brian Miller, I don't know where you are and I hope you are having a nice life, but I'm glad I wasn't "more like you."

2 comments:

tonymyles said...

I heard a great sermon last week. The preacher shared how his wife was asked by a five year old what "sexy" means. She said, "Sexy is when you're comfortable in your own skin."

Yeah... I like that.

Anonymous said...

Well said. I am glad that you are who you are also because you have grown into a son I am very proud of.

I too have been freed of that feeling that I was never good enough so I know exactly what you are talking about. I now can be just who I am and I am happier than I ever was. I have a beautiful family and I am proud of all of you.

Lots of Love
Mom