Monday, November 12, 2007

Cowboys Action Shooting

This weekend I travelled to North Carolina to visit my brother and did something for the first time. I got to participate in a Cowboy Action Shooting Competition.

If you aren't familiar with Cowboy Action Shooting, it is like grown up cowboys and Indians. It is an actual shooting competition that is measured on accuracy as well as speed. But, the twist to it is that all of the competitors dress in period clothes and use period style weapons. Each competition involves shooting single action revolvers, a lever action rifle and a shot gun. The competitors along with dressing the part also choose an alias like "Cactus Jack", "Carolina Lead Foot", etc.

But, the really unique thing about the competition is the competitors. They were some of the nicest people you could ever meet. Being a first time shooter they were all very willing to help me. I didn't have all the necessary equipment but it didn't take five minutes to find people to loan me all that I needed. Now, being a newbie I did take some good nature ribbing. I didn't have any boots on so I was referred to as "sneaks" or "little brother" since I was a guest of my brother (I am the oldest but they didn't seem to care about that fact).

If you have the opportunity to check out one of these competitions, I highly recommend it. I'm sure you will make some wonderful friends and have a good time.

No comments: