Wednesday, August 03, 2005

The Night I Met My Wife

As I promised this is my version of how I met my wife. If you want to read her version then see below. Also, this might be "too much information" so I apologize in advance.

First, a little background. I was in the process of going through a very painful divorce from my wife of nearly 6 years. She was leaving me and had no desire to reconcile.

My sister-in-law at the time (my soon to be ex-wife's brother's wife) loved nothing more than doing the "set-up". So, she got the idea she would orchestrate a happy hour on my behalf and invite all of the single woman from her office with the intent of hooking me up with one of two woman in particular (neither being my current wife). (The other woman were invited so it wouldn't appear to be a set-up).

I really didn't want to go but it became obvious that was not an option for me, my sister-in-law was going to make this happen. Well, the night finally arrived, February 6th, 1997, and it was a horrible night. It was cold, pouring down rain and the location of the happy hour was 20 miles from my house and I was going to have to make my way through some of the worst possible Dallas traffic to get there. But, my sister-in-law had left no stone unturned and had planned on the fact I might try to back out at the last moment so she sent my brother-in-law over to drive me there.

On the way there I kept hoping that the weather would keep everyone away and I could go home peacefully.

When we got to the location of the happy hour, a hotel bar(sounds sleazy doesn't it?), my brother-in-law and I made a direct path to the bathroom. On our way there we ran into one of the two candidates I was there to meet and I instantly ruled her out as a possibility. We then located everyone, which was just a handful of people, and we found our spot at some tables. I was seated directly next to candidate number two and she was eliminated from the running in about five minutes. Now that my work was done, I could relax.

The turn out wasn't very large because of the weather and several people made quick exits leaving just a few of us around a small table talking. Sitting catty-corner from me was a cute brunette wearing a plaid jacket and a little hat. I noticed she seemed to have spunk, a little attitude, a good sense of humor and was well versed in the ways of Seinfeld. We all talked for several hours and I must say I was interested it this girl but really didn't think there was any interest on her side. Then an Elvis medley was played and this spunky little thing got up, didn't really ask, and pulled me to the dance floor. Now, I could have put up more of a fight if I wanted to because I HATE to dance. In fact, the last time I had danced was at my wedding nearly 6 years earlier, but I didn't.

On my way home, I stared out the window and just kept repeating to my brother-in-law, "this isn't suppose to be happening". I knew it was too soon for me to be interested in someone and I really didn't want to be, but I was.

We were married June 12, 1999

1 comment:

Shelley said...

I had forgotten the "this isn't supposed to be happening" part of the story. That made me smile this morning.