Friday, August 18, 2006

Video Sharing

One of the best investments we ever made was buying our video camera when Seth was born. I also invested in some video editing software so I could do a few more creative things. So, I have created several movies of the boys, all with background music, special effects etc. but, the biggest problem I have had is how do I want to share these videos with friends and family. Initially, I was making DVDs and giving those out to those who might be interested but that was a very time consuming process and the DVDs didn't always play on every type of DVD player. I tried creating MPEGs and AVI files and emailing them but these files usually proved so large most people's email blocked them.

I then started investigating video sharing sites like YouTube and Google Video and I really like these sites but they both had a few shortcomings that are very important to me. First, YouTube as well as most of the sites, have a restriction on the size of the video. Most have a 10 minute limit and a size of 100MB. My videos are often bigger than this so it would be of no use to me. Now, Google Video doesn't have the restriction and even has a special application you can use to upload larger files. But, Google Video has no mechanism to share videos privately. If you upload a video it is shared with anyone on the internet and Shelley and I have a problem with posting pictures or videos of our boys on the internet. It might be a little paranoid but better safe than sorry...

Well, I found a little known site called Fliqz and it allows me to share videos privately and I can even password protect them if I choose. They also have given me a method to FTP larger videos as well.

They are new and small in comparison to the other sites but they have been very helpful to me. I have had email exchanges with both the President and the Director of Promotions and they are very willing to help. I hope they hang around because I really like being able to share my videos in this manner.

No comments: