Tuesday, August 01, 2006

BR - 549

If you know what the title of this post is referring to then more than likely you were born prior to 1970 and you grew up in the South. Now there could be some exceptions but I imagine this is mostly true.

If you don't know, it is the phone number to Junior Sample's Used Car Sales on Hee Haw. Now, if you don't know how BR-549 could be a phone number then you definitely were born after 1970 and probably didn't grow up in a small town.

The other night I was channel surfing and I landed on an old episode of Hee Haw and I was immediately taken back to when I was 12 years old and visiting my grandparents. I believe Hee Haw came on at 6pm on Saturday nights and at this time you were guaranteed that my grandparents television would be tuned into it. The only exception might have been if an Arkansas Razorback football game was on.

As I watched Hee Haw I found myself longing to be 12 again and visiting my grandparents.

Both set of grandparents lived in the same small town in Arkansas with a population of about 600. Despite the fact that they only lived a few miles apart the visit to each set of grandparents would be completely different.

At one grandparent's a visit would involve feeding the cows, shellin' peas and eating banana pudding. At the other grandparent's it would involve shooting birds with bb guns, blowing things up with firecrackers and climbing trees.

Despite the fact that the visits would be different I always enjoyed our time there. But, I never really appreciated it. Now, some 28 years later I can look back and at least have fond memories, I just wish I had the opportunity to have some more.

No comments: