Saturday, February 16, 2008

Never Lost??

I just got back from spending 3 days in San Diego and while I was there I rented a car with a navagation system. My truck doesn't have one because, well, it is old. I have had a few other rentals with them but I was always in a city where I was pretty familar with the area and didn't need to use it. This was my first time really trying to navigate with one.

What I found out was when I was using it I forgot how to drive. I spent more time listening to directions than reading signs and this led to me missing MANY turns. It reminded me of a kid who grew up using a calculator and not ever learning how to add and subtract. My natural sense of direction just shut down when I was trying to use it.

So, what did I hear during most of my journies? "Recalculating!" Yes, the GPS did a lot of recalculating following all the turns I kept missing.

No comments: