Monday, May 30, 2005

Feel the Fear and Do It Anyway

Fear is a powerful emotion. It is one of the primary reasons that prevent people from doing things. Fear can be quite debilitating. But, God doesn't want our fears to hold us back but he wants us to put our trust in him.

“ In God, whose word I praise, in God I trust; I will not be afraid. What can mortal man do to me? ”- Psalm 56:4

There are some fears that are natural and healthy like those that are there to help preserve our safety and well being. But those fears based on our fear of rejection, humiliation, failure, etc. are fears that need to be overcome.

I found a book that has been very helpful to me. It is Feel the Fear and Do It Anyway by Susan Jeffers.

In the book she talks about five truths of fear.

Truth 1 - The fear will never go away as I continue to grow.

This means that fear is healthy and is a sign you are pushing yourself to new limits. If you feel fear then it is a sign that this is a growth opportunity.

Truth 2 - The only way to get rid of the fear of doing something is to go out and do it.

We all know this is true. How many times have you been afraid of a new experience but once you do it you realize that there was no reason to fear.

Truth 3 - The only way to feel better about myself is to go out and do it.

Once you face one of your fears you not only begin the process of eliminating the fear but you also build you self-confidence.

Truth 4 - Not only am I going to experience fear whenever I am on unfamiliar territory, but everyone else is.

Everyone has fear, no matter who they are. It is just some don't let the fear get in the way of their actions.

Truth 5 - Pushing through fear is less frightening than living with the underlying fear of helplessness.

How often have you agonized about doing something, had sleepless nights and just an overwhelming feeling of dread? This is much more painful than just doing the act you are afraid of. This was probably the biggest revelation I had when reading the book. Now I try not to let my fears grow and fester but to, in the words of Barney Fife, "Nip it, nip it the bud." :-)

Pick up the book. I highly recommend it for everyone.

No comments: