Thursday, May 19, 2005

The Ordeal

In my post Where were you in 1977? I commented that Elvis had died in 1977. You know how there are those events in your life where you will always remember where you were when they happened? For me it is things like 9/11, Oklahoma City, The Challenger and Columbia disasters, and the death of Elvis. Why Elvis? I don't know, I was never an Elvis fan but when I was 10 years old, somehow I knew this was pretty big.

Now, fast-forward 20 years to 1997. I started dating my wife in 1997 and to say she is an Elvis fan would be an understatement. I won't go into detail but suffice it to say she likes Elvis.

We had been dating 4 or 5 months when one day she asked if I wanted to go to Memphis in August to participate in "Death Week". This is the week around August 16th(when Elvis died) when there are all sorts of festivities commemorating his life and death. Plus this one was going to be extra big because it was the 20th anniversary. Since it was the 20th anniversary there had already been numerous specials on VHI, Biography, A&E and the History channel about Elvis and being the good boy friend I was, I want to learn as much as I could so I could share in her interest. So, I had developed a little fascination with it and the trip was going to be inexpensive so I agreed to go.

When we got to Memphis she had several activities planned including going to Graceland, touring some of the other various museums like his planes and going to a kind of virtual concert. But, the Grand Daddy of them all was the candlelight vigil.

You see, every year on the anniversary of Elvis' death fans flock to Graceland and the night before they have a candlelight vigil where people carry candles up the driveway of Graceland and around the gravesite. No big deal I thought.

Well, we got to Graceland promptly at 9 pm when the vigil was scheduled to start and a few people had already gotten there before us. Actually, the line snaked up and down Elvis Presley Boulevard probably 10 -12 times. But, being the supportive boy friend I was, we promptly took our place in line and there we stood. Slowly, the line moved as the hours passed and finally at 4 am with candle in hand, I passed by the gravesite of Elvis Presley.

Yes, you read that right, 4 AM! I stood in line for 7 HOURS to carry a candle past a grave and I didn't complain about it. And until this post, I have never ever brought it up again. (I'm sure Shelley will have a comment contradicting that). But I would have done anything for her then.

Actually, I still would do anything for her, including standing in line 7 hours to carry a candle past Elvis' grave.

I love you Shelley!

3 comments:

Shelley said...

I believe I recall "the ordeal" being brought up a few times. It is one of those stories that is great to tell at parties, and Jeff tells it with such animation, complete with hand gestures and voice inflection. I like to think I've added some spice to Jeff's life. Soon he'll post about the time I had a Christmas Party at our house for people we didn't know.

Shelley said...

I love you too!

Anonymous said...

Can you remember EXACTLY where you were and how you heard the knews of Elvis dying? I give you a hint, Scott Hoyt's house, and your shadow told you.