Saturday, February 11, 2006

Class Rings

Tonight Shelley and I were talking about our high school class rings. The topic came up because Shelley's 20 year reunion is this year. She commented that her's was quite simple and she isn't even sure where it is. I, on the other hand, knew exactly where mine was. My ring has my birthstone, peridot. On one side is our mascot, the Bulldog, and on the opposite side is my name along with a baseball cap, my number 11 and my position, second base. Inside the ring my initials are also engraved.

I only wore my ring for a few months before I turned it over to my girlfriend who wrapped it with the obligatory yarn and wore it right up until she broke up with me during my freshman year in college. I never wore it again.

I'm not sure why I have kept it with me all of these years because I don't have fond memories of high school nor that girlfriend who first wore it. The only thing I can think of it is that weird combination of personality traits of being a cheap, sentimental, pack rat.

Well, I better but it back in the drawer now so when the topic comes up in another 20 years, I'll know right where it is.

No comments: