Wednesday, April 19, 2006

Food Craving

I don't crave food very often. In fact, food for me is just a necessity, a source of fuel, and I don't get a lot of enjoyment from eating. But, right now I am craving something and that is Cashew Chicken. Now, this is not the same Cashew Chicken that you can get at any corner chinese restaurant. No, this is a type of Cashew Chicken that few are familiar with, it is not readily available but if you have ever had it, you won't forget it. It is "Springfield" Cashew Chicken with "Springfield" referencing Springfield, Missouri where it was made famous.

In 1963, David Leong opened Leong's Tea House in Springfield, Missouri. He had moved to the United States from China in 1940 and had struggled to gain acceptance for the foods of his homeland so he began searching for a dish that would appease local residents' taste buds. Asian food, after all, wasn't common in the Ozarks in the 1960s and Leong needed a dish the fried chicken loving people of the region would appreciate. He eventually came up with a combination of fried chicken chunks covered with Chinese oyster sauce, a handful of cashews and chopped green onions.

We have found recipes on the internet that are suppose to be the Leong Secret family recipe but they just aren't the same. I mentioned to Shelley the other night we might have to plan a family trip to Branson but my ulterior motive is so we could make the additional 30 minute drive to Springfield so I could get some Cashew Chicken.

2 comments:

Jeremy@Life of an Ant said...

I wish I could not enjoy food as much as you. I am the complete opposite. I eat because I like it. I guess most people do. =)

Chow!
Jeremy

http://lifeofanant.blogspot.com

Anonymous said...

That does sound good. I keep searching in KC for something similar but have found nothing since Gee's closed.

Let me know when you plan to go. I will meet you there.

Mom