Sunday, July 23, 2006

Galveston

We just returned from a short family vacation to Galveston, Texas; we thought we could all use a trip to the beach. Seth had been to the ocean about a year and half ago and Chase had never been so we were both anxious to see what their reaction would be.

Enthusiasm was not lacking because when we were still about three hours out from Galveston, Seth started asking "where's the beach?" When we finally arrived at our condo we quickly put our swimsuits on and headed for the beach. I had visions of me and the boys walking hand and hand in the surf but alas it wasn't to be. The personality of each boy kicked in as we approached the ocean. Seth stopped suddenly about 10 feet from the ocean and refused to go any further and I basically had to tackle Chase (the 1 year old) as he ran ahead out into the ocean.

Despite minimal planning we managed to do several things in the short two days we were there and I imagine everyone had there favorite moments.

I had several myself. With Seth it would be the boat trip around Galveston we took. It was one of those tours that shows you some of the highlights and we even got to see Dolphins playing. This boat had 2 decks and we spent most of our time on the lower deck because experience told us that Seth, the ever so cautious one, probably wouldn't like the upper deck. But, toward the end of the trip he wanted to go to the top so up we went. He immediately went to the front of the boat, a la "Titantic", and just loved the view he had up there.

With Chase it was his first dip in a swimming pool. We took a brief swim in the pool and being one never to be left out Chase wanted to go. So, I swam him around the pool and he just delighted in it.

For Seth I know his favorite had to be the Railroad museum we went to and the model train exhibit he got a private tour of. It was amazing display with a lot of detail. The men who created let Seth go inside the exhibit and get a close up view of all of the trains.

For Chase I think it had to be getting to go swimming. He is a natural and was already kicking his legs and moving his arms.

For Shelley it might have been the fact that I didn't have my laptop or cell phone with me for two days, a new record for me.

All in all it was a nice vacation.

No comments: