Saturday, November 19, 2005

What I Don't Like About My Church

I first want to make it clear that I love my church. I have posted on here many times how much I love what is going on at my church and how proud I am to be a part of it. Also, I have defended my church and "Big" Churches in general on other blogs.

But, I do have one issue with my church. My church is different than most churches because the membership isn't really involved in running the church. Members don't vote on the budget, large expenditures, hiring staff, etc. Instead, it is run more like a company with the church executive team deciding the direction and executing. I don't have an issue with this and actually prefer it. I have been involved and have seen other churches become divided over some decision that the membership can't agree on.

But, because of a lack of involvement by the membership in decisions we as members don't always know what is going on within the church. Fellowship started a blog and I was excited about it because I thought this more informal means of communication would allow the church to communicate things that might not necessarily get communicated. But, unfortunately it turned into just a way to communicate the weekly announcements and has since been discontinued.

In the early days of the church the website contained the pictures and bio of the management team. While you might not know them or even ever have an audience with them, you at least knew who they were. Right now, I really don't have an idea who does what at our church. And recently there was a large shake up and many of the pastors changed roles so I really don't know who does what now. I would have liked to at least had it communicated who was going to be doing what and maybe a little explanation as to what the thinking was behind the changes.

Also, we had a worship leader who had been there ever since I have attended the church and I owe a large portion of me becoming a Christian to Rob. If it hadn't been for the way he did music, I probably wouldn't have continued to return to Fellowship. He is suddenly gone and not even an announcement that he chose to pursue another opportunity. It reminds me when you tune into your favorite classic rock station and now it is a country station and nobody even addresses the change. Everyone just goes on as if it has always been a country station.

I don't mind running the church as if it is a company but don't treat me like a customer, I want to be treated as a stakeholder. Also, I'm not asking for a voice in the church, just an ear.

No comments: