Friday, October 13, 2006

The Future's So Bright I have to Wear Shades



My work career has had a series of ups and downs. I have been involved in several mergers which have resulted in "down sizing", "right sizing", and the latest is called a "transformation". I wrote about one incident here.

The first experience I had was back in 1994 when I worked for a bank. Our bank was a small, texas based bank with 5 branches that had been struggling since the late 80's but a larger regional bank had decided to invest $40 million in capital to help us grow. This was exactly what we needed or at least we thought.

To kick this off a breakfast meeting was called and we were all asked to wear our sunglasses because "The future is so bright, we have to wear shades." We also got baseballs that had printed on them "It's a brand new game.". We all soon found out that it might be a brand new game but we weren't going to be on the team. As soon as the check was cashed, the "investment" became an "acquisition" and the layoff started. I have kept that baseball with me for the last 12 years as a reminder of how things can always change.

Well, now I am in the middle of what is being called the "IT Transformation Project" and there will be a lot of things changing which will include the elimination of my position. I will be writing more about this and my upcoming job search.

No comments: