Monday, November 13, 2006

A Tangled Web I Have Woven

Several weeks ago Shelley and I implemented a program of giving Seth stickers for doing activities that he struggles with like picking up his toys. If he gets all the stickers for a week, then he would get a surprise. His first surprise was a Thomas the Tank Engine Lego Train Set .

This last week the movie Cars came out on video and Seth expressed some interest in watching it so I told him we would rent it this past weekend. I also told him if he liked it we might make it his next surprise for getting all of his stickers. Well, at 8 am on Saturday morning Seth was ready to go get the movie. We explained that Blockbuster wasn't open yet but we would go as soon as it was. We left the house promptly at 10 am and headed out to Blockbuster. After going to two Blockbusters and finding that they didn't have any copies, I just told myself that if the third one didn't have any I would buy it and just tell Seth we rented it. How would he know the difference, right?

Buying it is exactly what I had to do but I kept up the ruse that I had only rented it. Seth really liked his "race car movie" so we told him that we would have to return the movie to the store since we had only rented it but if he got all of his stickers we would buy him a copy. My plan was just to stick it in a drawer and then the next time he earned his surprise, I would pull it out and give it to him.

On Sunday night we watched it before Seth was going to bed and when we finished I told him I was going to take it back to the store. My plan was working just as I had anticipated. But, then Seth threw me a curve ball when he told me that he wanted to take it back to the store. I pressed on saying that I would just take it back on my way to work but he would hear none of it.
He stated that mommy and he would take it back and he was very insistent. I was stumped and didn't know how to proceed so I just gave into his request.

Now, Shelley has to figure out how to make Seth think we are returning this movie we "rented".

Sorry honey!

2 comments:

Shelley said...

Be careful how you use the word "we" in your story. :-)

mommyofangels said...

Had you told him the TRUTH :) in the beginning, Shelly would not be in this mess... :)