Saturday, December 30, 2006

Cries in the Night

Chase has started waking up in the middle of night. Usually, we will hear his cries or his sobbing requests for "mommy" coming through the baby monitor. Shelley is usually the one who gets up to comfort him or help him find his pacifier which is usually lost in the covers.

One night a few weeks ago I woke up to him sobbing and saying "mommy" over and over. Shelley wasn't waking up so I got up to check on him thinking all I needed to do was find the missing pacifier.

As soon as I opened the door the crying stopped. I didn't say a word as I quietly entered his room. His eyes must not have adjusted to the new light in the room because as I bent down by his bed to look for the pacifier, he reached up and felt my face with both of his little hands. At this moment he realized I wasn't "mommy" and now whatever emotions he was feeling now had disappointed added to it and the crying came back with a vengeance followed by multiple requests for "mommy". I finally took him to her and all was then right with the world.

No comments: