Friday, December 15, 2006

Quality Time

Last month I wrote a post on Dadbloggers called Quality vs. Quantity and the premise was basically that it is better to spend as much time with your children as possible and the quality times will be created instead of trying to just create quality time.

This was very apparent to me yesterday. I had already planned to take the day off but what I didn't plan on was my whole family being sick. Seth had us concerned because he had been running a high fever since the night before so we decided to take him to the doctor. This is ordinarily something Shelley does because she is better at explaining the condition and she remembers to ask all the right questions. But, since she could barely talk, this duty fell on me this time.

As we sat in the doctor's waiting room, Seth was crying uncontrollably. Between sobs he was saying he wanted to go home and he didn't want to see the doctor. I was softly whispering in his ear that I knew he was scared and I loved him. He would then blurt out loud enough for the whole office to hear, "I don't love you." We did this for about ten minutes until all of the sudden the tears stopped, he looked at me and said "I love you." The rest of the doctor's visit went very well and he was diagnosed as having Strep Throat.

When we got home, Seth laid down on the couch to rest and watch The Polar Express. I was sitting at the table eating some lunch which included Baked Cheetos when Seth turned to me and said "Daddy, will you wash your hands and come lay down with me?"

These are moments you just can't create.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Aww, sweet little man - but you gotta wash your hands first, lol. You're a lucky daddy.