Thursday, December 28, 2006

First Gun Safety Discussion

Today as I was looking at a Colt Python I had just received, Seth asked me how it worked. Since this was the first time he had expressed an interest in any of my guns, I took this as an opportunity to have our first gun safety discussion.

I took him outside and explained to him that guns were not toys and he wasn't suppose to touch them unless their was a grown up present. I used the Eddie Eagle method where you teach kids if they see a gun to:

STOP!
Don't Touch.
Leave the Area.
Tell an Adult.


I then told him that since there was an adult present he could touch this gun if he wanted. He said he did so I let him touch it and even hold it so he could feel that it was heavier than his toys.

When we went back into the house I had Shelley ask him what he is suppose to do if he finds a gun. He said, "don't touch it, find a grown up." I was impressed.

No comments: