Thursday, December 21, 2006

Lighten Up Francis

When I wrote Tis the Season earlier this month on Dadbloggers I knew it would be controversial and it has been. It has become the 10th most commented post on Dadbloggers and now it has inspired another post by a new contributor, Khyle.

In his post, When Santa met Francis he decides to take a shot at me when he tells me to "Lighten Up." He actually quoted one of my favorite movies, Stripes, when Seargent Hulka said "Lighten up Francis."

I have considered getting into a comments war with him but have decided not to and just to use my own blog as my forum instead. But, if any of you want to defend me then feel free. :-)

In my post I never questioned the parents that have chosen a different approach with Santa, I was just explaining our own struggles. I also am insulted by him implying that we are legalistic and not letting our kids enjoy their childhood. Five minutes in our house and you will know our kids are enjoying their childhood.

But, we do take being parents seriously and are doing our best to following what God has instructed us to do in Deuteronomy 6: 5-7. Love the Lord your God with all your heart and with all your soul and with all your strength. These commandments that I give you today are to be upon your hearts. Impress them on your children.
In the words of Ed Young, our jobs as parents are to "teach and train our children to leave."

4 comments:

Unknown said...

I'm not sure why you and Shelley are so upset. A 'comments war?'

I didn't criticize your decisions. I just used your post as a way to better illustrate what I'm focusing on as a father.

Perhaps you thought I was being sarcastic when I said:

"So Jeff, forgive me if my initial reaction to your post was “Lighten up, Francis.” I truly respect the thought process you go through in order to do the right thing for your kids, even if I have a completely different thought process."

I wasn't.

Don't you think it'd be better to continue this (if indeed there is any need) on the actual post?

Jeff Dowdle said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Jeff Dowdle said...

Khyle,
I didn't comment on your post because I feel comments should be left to things that are directly related to the post. I didn't feel what I had to say needed to be in the comments of your post.

I will take you at your word that you meant no harm but I would ask you to reread what you wrote from our perspective.

mommyofangels said...

ahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh.
Santa, no Santa...who the heck cares.

Jeff you are a great dad and your kids know it.
So what is Santa bringing them? just kidding...

It's funny because Isabel is asked that question, and she just stares at the person, like 'what the heck you talkin about?'