Sunday, March 04, 2007

College Education

Some recent events in our family has had us discussing the value of a college education. Statistics show that on average a person with a bachelors degree will earn $54,000 per year and a person with only a high school diploma will earn $31,000. Over their working lives this will result in a difference of $1.7 million.

Considering I have a bachelors and a masters degree, one might assume that I am a big proponent of getting a college degree and for the most part I am. But, I understand that these are only averages and there are a lot of people who have done just fine without a college degree. My brother doesn't have a degree and he and I are about in the same place in life despite my 6 years of college experience. I also have a co-worker/peer who doesn't have a degree either and she is doing quite well for herself.

Then you can talk about people like Bill Gates, Harry Truman, George Washington, Michael Dell and Steve Jobs who all didn't get a college degree and I think they turned out ok.

But, I will argue that all of these people are the exception rather than the rule and getting a college degree is just one tool that can help give you a leg up in life so why not use it.

I know that if I had not gotten my degrees, right now I would be a lot closer to the $31,000 number than the current salary I am making. I don't posses some of the extraordinary traits that the people I mentioned previously have (Tim and Amy, that includes you).

I just hope we can instill the value of education into our boys because I don't feel like having a conversation with either one of them about how they are dropping out of school and going to Boston to "find themselves."

5 comments:

Unknown said...

I think it's as much a symptom as a cause. If you really want to earn money, not having a degree won't stop you. And if you aren't motivated by money, you probably aren't going to college anyway.

Jeremy@Life of an Ant said...

I think that getting an education is important for the majority. Like you said, most of those people are exceptions to the rule.

mommyofangels said...

I'm all for education.

amyerj said...

Wow - I made the blog. And in a list with Bill Gates no less.

As exceptional as I am (ha!), I do regret not getting the degree. As much for the extra four years of school life as for the opportunities I know it's cost me.

I've threatened Jo often with going back to school with her... but when I review the costs I'm just not that sure that it's worth it now. Only time will tell for sure.

Tim Dowdle - www.livetoshoot.com said...

I've never cared for the link between education and money. I've never asked for a raise or set out to make money. I've always followed the principle to set a goal that is worth achieving and reward will follow. I've been greatly rewarded. My lack of a degree has cost me job security more than once. I don't suggest trying to survive in the modern business world without a good source of job security. I can't think of anything better than a good education. I don't see many Medical Doctors drawing unemployment.
As for Jeff's lack of skills, he is overly modest. Every personal goal I have set for myself has been based on his achievements. Without his ability to set goals, stay a coarse, ignore distractions, stay calm under pressure and see something through to the finish, I would have nothing to have modeled so many of my personal goals after. I started when I was nine, and I still do it today.