Thursday, March 08, 2007

It Hurts Me More Than It Hurts You

I'm sure everyone has had their parents say to them "This is going to hurt me a lot more than it is going to hurt you." This was probably in the context of a spanking. I never understood how they could possibly believe this until I became a parent and it is now one of the most true "parentisms" I know. We don't typically spank our kids but it applies to any type of punishment.

Last night we had our 500th battle with Seth regarding eating dinner and after trying a variety of punishments, I decided to start taking away toys. So, I got a garbage bag and started gathering up some of his favorite toys. Each time I picked up a different toy his cries would get more intense.

Then at one point he yelled out "You can't take MY toys" and this really set me off. So I walked over to him, got down on his level and asked him what made him think they were "his" toys. Then between sobs he was able to get out "because people gave them to me as presents."

My heart melted, I just wanted to give him a big hug, dump out all of the toys and start playing. But, I was too far into it at this point so now there are two garbage bags full of toys in our attic.

My plans are to let him get a toy back every night he sits and eats dinner with us without an argument. I really hope he does that tonight because I can't take another night like last night.

And Seth, when you are older and reading this, it did hurt me more than it hurt you.

2 comments:

mommyofangels said...

I know what you are going through.

amyerj said...

Oh yes, I know that feeling. When you dig in and then hear something that makes you want to cave. Be strong, he'll thank you for it later!