Tuesday, March 13, 2007

Old and Chicken

My first real job was painting houses. I did this for two summers and became very adept at using an extension ladder and climbing all over houses. I have to admit we did some pretty stupid things but you know how it is when you are 17.

Well, part of our house needs painting and it happens to be a part requiring me to get on the roof. So, this weekend I headed up on the roof to check things out and figure out exactly what needed to be done.

When I got up there I discovered that the pitch of our roof is really steep. As I sat there I realized no one even knew I was up on the roof and if I fell off it might be hours before I was missed. I also started feeling really old but this just wasn't worth it.

Down from the roof I climbed with my tail between my legs and feeling every one of my 40 years. What a difference 23 years of wisdom and more disposable income can make.

No comments: