Thursday, March 29, 2007

Toys, Toys and More Toys

Last night I started picking up the boys' toys and came to the realization that we have way too many toys. I was struggling to find a place to put all of their stuff. Their rooms can't hold all of their toys so we converted our office to a playroom and it is now full so they have creeped into our living room, our bedroom and even our bathroom.

So I made the decision that we need to approach this problem much like our immigration problem. First we need to seal our borders and stop the flow of incoming toys. So no more toys will be allowed to enter our home. Once this problem is solved then we have to look at each existing toy. Unlike many proposed policies, mine will not have any option for amnesty. Each toy will be evaluated based on whether they play with it and whether it offers any educational value. If it fails these criteria, out it will go. I plan to have it down to where their rooms can hold the majority of their toys.

Books, please just give us books...

4 comments:

Shelley said...

I'm not going to leave you home alone again.

Don Hayward said...

I don't know how many times I have muttered the same words myself. Unfortunately, we've only gotten to a bi-annual purge, at least one of which is shortly after Christmas. The big problem is that we really aren't the source of most of the offending items, but how do you enforce these prohibitions against the grandparents when you use them as babysitters too?

Jeremy@Life of an Ant said...

Guess I better gear up for this and develop some strategy when we start having kids next year.

mommyofangels said...

Charity... give them away. Or Craigslist. I recently sold a Leapfrog learing table for $20. I too had to go through my girls toys, seeing that the playroom was cut in half with the new house.