Monday, February 19, 2007

Our First Date

I'm a few days late on this but ten years ago on February 16, 2007 my wife and I had our first date. It had been about nine years since I had been on a "first date" so to say I was a little nervous would have been an understatement.

God had stepped in a few weeks earlier and blew the engine in my hail damaged 1989 Olds Cutlass Calais that didn't have any heat so I was driving a brand new Ford Explorer. "I had that going for me, which is nice." Shelley informed me several years later that if I had picked her up in the Cutlass, my chance of a 2nd date would have been slim.

I arrived at Shelley's wearing my typical kahki and a button down dress shirt. She on the other hand was wearing jeans, a flannel shirt and hadn't even put her contacts in. She was obviously trying to impress me.

My elaborate plans included dinner and a movie. We went to dinner at Pappadeauxs and I would again find out later that she didn't like Pappadeauxs.

While waiting for Dinner was when the most memorable part of the date happened and has come to define our relationship. When we arrived at Pappadeauxs we had to wait for a table so we sat down on their patio to wait. Before the conversation went any further, Shelley slapped her hand on the table and exclaimed, "I'm a conservative Republican. I just want to put that out there right now." Well, that is interesting I thought. I had just planned to talk about the weather.

The evening proceeded without any significant occurring. We went and saw the movie Absolute Power which proved to be ironic considering our political beliefs and who was President at the time.

After the movie, I took her home and then we had that awkward moment as I walked her to the door. I remember us standing there talking uncomfortably but I think I blacked out because I have no memory of what happened next. I know I didn't kiss her but I'm not sure what happened. I wouldn't be surprised if I shook her hand or something really dorky but I will have to let Shelley tell that part of the story.

2 comments:

Shelley said...

I gave you a hug.

amyerj said...

One of my favorite Jeff/Shelley stories. You guys are perfect together!