Thursday, February 08, 2007

The Police


The news that the Police are reuniting and will be playing this week on The Grammys caused me to flash back to my senior year in high school.

I went to a Police concert on Thanksgiving night in 1983. It was their Syncronicity tour and it still is one of my favorite concerts. I got free tickets to this concert because I was the only one who had a car big enough to take the 7 people who were all going, the "silver four door luxury machine." It was a 1979 Pontiac Bonneville and I had become the official chauffeur for our group. I also remember I got a $2 bill as change for something I purchased at that concert and I carried that in my wallet as good luck for almost 15 years.

I had also started dating a girl who would become my on again, off again girlfriend for the next five years. That Christmas we went to my grandparent's house and I don't remember how long we were gone but it probably wasn't more than 3 or 4 days but it felt like we were separated for months. We were at that point in our relationship where we spent every available moment together and if we weren't together we were talking on the phone. This was before cell phones so when I was at my grandparent's we couldn't talk because it was long distance so I had to resort to writing letters. I wrote her a letter every day we were there and in one letter I used the lyrics from the Police's song Every Breath You Take to communicate my feelings. I admit I was a dork.

Oh, cant you see
You belong to me
How my poor heart aches
With every step you take

Every move you make
Every vow you break
Every smile you fake
Every claim you stake
Ill be watching you

Since you've gone I been lost without a trace
I dream at night I can only see your face
I look around but its you I cant replace
I feel so cold and I long for your embrace
I keep crying baby, baby, please...


I am so glad I'm not in high school any longer...

1 comment:

Idaho Dad said...

I saw The Police in '81 or '82 on their Ghost in the Machine tour. The thing I most remember about the concert was the opening act: Oingo Boingo. They came out on stage and totally blew us away. Then Sting and Co. came out, with their much quieter sound and it was kind of an aural letdown after being blasted by the opening act.