Monday, May 28, 2007

My New Addiction

I'm not sure how it happened exactly but it all started three days ago. I think it was a simple email I got offering me a free three day trial. Ordinarily, I ignore those types of things but I had a few extra minutes on my hands so I went to their site and created an account.

After logging in, I entered a few pieces of basic information and all of the sudden I was opened up to a world of information.

My new addiction is genealogy and this new wonderful site is Ancestry.com.

Prior to this weekend I really didn't know much about my family beyond my grandparents and now I have pieced a tentative history that on my father's side goes back to 1720 and Ulster, Ireland.

The other cool thing about the site is it locates historical documents like census records, birth and death records, marriage and divorce records and military records and you can actually see the original document in some cases.

For example, below is my great grandfathers WWI draft registration card.(click to enlarge)



It is amazing what you can find and if someone has already created a branch of your tree you can automatically connect to it and have several new generations added.

I may need some intervention though if I don't bring this under control.

1 comment:

mommyofangels said...

I've dabbled into looking at my ancestory before. Could only get so far without paying. I may pick it back up some day.