Sunday, May 06, 2007

Open Spaces

Where I grew up we didn't have six foot privacy fences. Every yard was wide open and you could see straight into your neighbors yard. When I moved to Texas and everyone was divided by these big wooden fences, I was a little taken back. It took awhile to get use to and when I go home I always have a longing for the open space.

But, since we have had our fence knocked down and I get to live a little in that environment, I am finding myself very uncomfortable. I keep going around making sure our blinds are all closed and our doors are always locked. I feel like I am walking around with my pants down.

I am sad because I feel like this and we have to live all boarded up. Why is it this way?

2 comments:

amyerj said...

thought provoking... we've changed into a much different environment than just a few generations ago... good fences build good neighbors maybe?

Don Hayward said...

Amy, That poem was by Robert Frost, right?

When I lived in Double Oak, near Lewisville, all of the houses in Double Oak had a Rail fence, or no fence. As kids, we would cut through yards instead of walking up one street then down another. Not very neighborly, considering I rarely even knew the names of the people whose yard I was cutting through.