Saturday, December 17, 2005

The Story of a Lifetime - Higher Education

This is Part 3 of the series The Story of a Lifetime that Shelley and I are doing.

Where did I go to college and why?

Read Shelley's answer here.

I went to high school in a small town called Kearney, Missouri, just 22 miles north of Kansas City. During my senior year all my friends were picking their colleges and most were choosing the directional state schools. You know, South East Missouri State, North West Missouri State, etc. Some also chose the University of Missouri or the University of Kansas. But, I knew I wanted to be different and go somewhere out of state. The problem was, I didn't know where. I had grown up a University of Arkansas fan and loved the Razorbacks but for some reason that just didn't feel right to me.

I procrastinated the decision and it got to where I had to make one or I would miss critical deadlines so I just chose a small private college 10 miles from my house called William Jewel College. My thought was I would live at home and would spend my freshman year looking for a college.

I quickly found that I really like the small private college atmosphere and that became a key element of my search.

My best friend at the time, Eric Lambertus, had gotten a full academic scholarship to Texas Christian University. So in January of my freshman year I made a journey to Fort Worth to spend the weekend with him and check out TCU. I instantly fell in love with it. It had everything I was looking for. It was a small private school but it also played big time Division I sports. It was in the Southwest Conference of which I was very familiar with because of my love of the Razorbacks. They even played in the Blue Bonnet Bowl against West Virginia that year and I got to watch them on TV. That impressed me so I decided to transfer.

The rest is history..

1 comment:

Lori said...

I used to live in KCM....The one thing I can remember most about it is..the border between KS and MO....Now that is a bridge!!!

Have a great day!!!