Tuesday, March 07, 2006

Cats in The Cradle

I can't remember exactly when I heard Harry Chapin's song Cats in the Cradle for the first time but I remember one incident when I was about 15 and in our basement lifting weights. I wasn't lifting weights because I wanted to but because I was trying to please my father. Cats in the Cradle came on the radio and I started singing it as loud as I could, possibly in hopes he might hear it.

A child arrived just the other day,
He came to the world in the usual way.
But there were planes to catch, and bills to pay.
He learned to walk while I was away.
And he was talking 'fore I knew it, and as he grew,
He'd say, "I'm gonna be like you, dad.
You know I'm gonna be like you."

And the cat's in the cradle and the silver spoon,
Little boy blue and the man in the moon.
"When you coming home, dad?" "I don't know when,
But we'll get together then.
You know we'll have a good time then."


And so the song goes. It has always hit home and described at some level the relationship I have with my father and exactly how I don't want my relationship with Seth and Chase to be.

Yesterday I was working late and Shelley sent me this IM.

[17:25] shelleydowdle: when you coming home son? i don't know when . . . ''

Ouch!

Now, I use the song not as a statement but as a reminder. Shelley, thank you for always being there and helping me remember what is important.

No comments: