Sunday, March 19, 2006

Rainy Day

This morning with the weather forecast being rain all day I planned on doing nothing and then writing about how much I love rainy days. I wish I had got to do nothing today but instead the A/C unit that supports our server room at work went out and the temperature got to be 95 degrees. Needless to say the servers didn't like that very much so I spent most of the day at work either working with our A/C vendor to try and fix the unit, which they couldn't, and then working to get portable A/C units brought in. Kudos go out to Spot Coolers who had delivered and installed 4 portable units within two hours of our call.

But, back to why I love rainy days. I have a tough time doing nothing while my wonderful bride has earned a PH.D in doing nothing. As a kid I was always driven by my father to be productive everyday. He wanted me to practice golf or baseball X hours every day and his first question when he got home was what had I done that day. So, as a kid I learned to love rainy days because it gave me the perfect excuse to do nothing and I didn't have to worry about my father asking me what I had done that day. I have carried that to adulthood and I find rainy days are the only days I still can feel comfortable doing nothing. Yes, we have talked about this in counseling and I am working on letting it go.

I hope to have another opportunity to do nothing and I won't wait for a rainy day.

No comments: