Tuesday, April 24, 2007

Disappointing my kids

When I knew I was going to be a father I made a lot of promises to myself that including things that I would never do and things my kids would never do.

First, I would like to apologize to all parents out there that I had negative thoughts about, especially all of the ones in various grocery stores, movie theatres and Wal Marts through out the years. I was wrong and hope you forgive me.

I made promises that I didn't want to do and one of those was not being there for my kids. I didn't want to miss their birthdays, school plays, or baseball games. But, I was realistic and knew that it might happen time to time.

Well, this past week, I have missed 2 Kindermusik classes and 2 soccer games and the pain I have felt was horrible. The thought of disappointing my kids has been excruciatingly painful and I am further committed to my promise.

I hope someday they read this and know that I will always do whatever it takes to be there. I have further appreciation for Neal Page in Planes, Trains and Automobiles.

1 comment:

amyerj said...

Heartbreaking - but I know it's only temporary. 6 Months... you'll be calling your own shots again.