Tuesday, April 10, 2007

What are men doing?

Yesterday while I was in the waiting room at my dentist I picked up a womans magazine. I'm not sure which one but it wasn't Glamour or Cosmo because it had food on the cover. But there was an article listed that caught my eye so I start leafing through it.

This article stated that 40% of husbands had NEVER cooked dinner. NEVER? They hadn't even grilled a hamburger at sometime, I wondered. It also stated 40% had never done the grocery shopping.

The article had a lot of other stats that I didn't get to because I got called back for my appointment but I couldn't get those figures out of my mind. 40%? What are these guys doing?

In our house I make dinner about 50% of the time and I do about 90% of the grocery shopping and I don't consider myself all that helpful around the house. Heck, I spent five hours Sunday sitting on butt watching the Masters all day.

But I just keep wondering what these guys are doing....

3 comments:

Jeremy@Life of an Ant said...

I do about:
50%-60% of the cooking.
40%-50% of the cleaning.
95%-100% of the yard work.
30%-40% of the shopping.
5% of the laundry.

I don't think I fall in that catagory.

Anonymous said...

We're approaching 23 years, and Paul spent the first 22 not cooking. He began to help dice veggies or slice chicken (my least favorite cooking-related activity) a few years ago, but he didn't do meals. Until a year ago, when I started working, and he wasn't. He started cooking. And grocery shopping. Alone. I don't know who was more shocked - him or me.

This semester he has class on Wednesday nights, and the rest of us order pizza. Every Wednesday. Uh-oh, I think I've become addicted to someone else cooking!!

Don Hayward said...

When we got married, my wife and I both cooked, did the dishes, did the grocery shopping, and the laundry. For one reason or another, it seems that I have worked my way out of most of these. The only one that I regularly still do is the dishes. This is because I frequently redo them after someone else does them. I didn't really try to give up any of these, it was my wife's decision to take them over, and I saw no reason to resist.